Fancy engaging with a few particules of inspiration?
Well, 3rd July marks the solar anniversary of Algerian Independence from French rule. It is 50 years since that 1962 culmination of decades of organised struggle against a vicious, genocidal and merciless colonial force. I pray for the acceptance of the strugglers and hope that there is learning in our transnational decolonial movement.
Though independence as of 3rd July was announced by the colonial abuser, it was forced by a variety of different political means; from bullet to ballot. Not fucking Twitter.
The Young Algeria provided an umbrella for many anticolonial movements of the time, which was one of hope and possibility to many of our parent's and grandparent's generation.
How contemporary Algeria has subsequently unfolded should not detract from the importance of understanding its significance.
So screw other independences about now, 3rd July is for
- Kicking Empire in the head
- Connecting with and critically appraising the relevance of related concepts and tactics
- Asking decolonial questions of the past and present future,
- Establishing afro-asian congress,
- Rigorously engaging with settlers
- Wondering how to distrupt destructive secularist-islamicist axial disintegration
- Demanding France apologise and undertake restorative measures.